Taste of Style PDX is an idea founded in the belief that together our community can accomplish more. It wasn’t enough for Portland-based hair stylist Chris Vandehey to win the Global Style Awards and see his avant garde hair pieces gracing the covers of magazines; he wanted to share his heart and experience with fellow stylists, and to find a way to give back to his artistic and creative community. When he was approached six years ago to base a fundraiser for the Oregon Food Bank around his award-winning fantasy hair creations, a light went off in his head; thus Taste of Style PDX was born.
“I realized I could satisfy several of my passions at once. I could feed hungry people and at the same time stoke creativity in my fellow stylists, including those just getting started in their careers. And most importantly I could literally provide them a runway to display their creations.” -Chris Vandehey
In 2015 he launched the first Taste of Style PDX show, a fundraiser that features a runway competition – but not just any kind of runway competition - this competition allows dozens of seasoned hair stylists to design and model themed fantasy hair creations for the annual event’s runway shows alongside up-and-coming trending local designers who are selected to showcase their collections. At the same time, Chris could use Taste of Style PDX to help launch the lives and careers of local stylists, designers and models down a different runway: encouraging them to contribute to their community by setting them on a course of volunteerism and charitable giving through art, kindness, acceptance and creativity.
2019! Ali has been a hair stylist for more than 10 years and is currently working at Luxe Artistry
in Camas, Washington when she is not at home spending time with her family or enjoying the great outdoors!
to give low income and special needs kids free haircuts for back to school. Lisa is an absolutely wonderfully talented stylist, a rare heart and a true joy to spend time with.
Wintress "Honeybee" Watson
and a National Educator with Paul Mitchell ♡ Tatianna is a wonderfully skilled color Stylist with a passion for bold colors and intensely beautiful creations! We can't wait to see what fantastic creation she comes up with this year!
Julie Danforth Design
- Makeup and attire must complement the hairstyle. Remember, this is a hair fashion gala.
- Models are required to wear black clothing to compliment & highlight your hair artistry.
- Hair may include coloring, hairpieces, wigs, and weaves (no limit). The style should be at least 60% hair with no more than 40% accessories. "Hair" may be synthetic in nature.
- Clients and models must arrive at the event by 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 7, 2020. Models MUST participate in Model Auditions, Model Bootcamp and Dress Rehearsals. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Taste of Style will provide a backstage model room for hair, makeup, and fashion touch-ups.
- Models will be expected to be complete prior to the show.
- All models will be at least 21 years of age and cannot consume any alcohol on the premises. Models must sign a release form for Taste of Style/Angel Hair Foundation as well as abide by the Code of Conduct outlined in the Model Audition packet.
- Taste of Style/Angel Hair Foundation will not be held responsible for any allergies or other medical issues that may arise as a result of hair products or make-up used in or around the models, or any food or drink ingested at the event.
- Participants are expected to ensure models conduct themselves with integrity and respect throughout the evening.
- This year due to COVID we will only be allowing models, stylists, designers, production staff and other event-related volunteers to be present at the show. As this year is a fully online show models and designers will be given spacious rooms and separated according to COVID guidelines. All participants are required to wear a mask, except models; models can stop wearing a mask after their makeup is complete. If you have any other questions regarding backstage set up or COVID safety and TOS, please feel free to email Director, Chris Vandehey, at email@example.com or Co-Director, Amy Honeybee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.